Friday 23 November 2012

PhD week 37: Cup and Show Week

Not-so-gratuitous picture: The holotype of Sminthurus multidentatus Salmon 1943. Courtesy of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa. License: BY-NC-ND.

This past Friday was Canterbury Provincial Anniversary day, better known as Show Day. It is the culmination of a week of festivities, including horse racing events and the Christchurch Agricultural and Pastoral (A & P) show.

All of which passed me by. I keep meaning to attend these exciting events, but each year I manage to find other things to occupy my time more pleasantly or productively. In this case it was spending Wednesday collecting weevils at Lake Coleridge, sorting out insect diets on Thursday, and spending a very enjoyable morning watching birds at Lake Ellesmere on Friday. My obligation to attend these quintessential Cantabrian events shall have to wait until next year (at least).


Read:
   McCulloch D. 2010. A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years London: Penguin
   Psalms 138

Websites:
Cowon Portable Music Players
Mozai.com—How my Mom can make DVDs

Watched:
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season 6

No comments: