Monday 6 May 2013

PhD week 61: Sydney

Norma Jean take the stage at the Hi Fi, Sydney, 3 May 2013.

I've been a fan of metalcore band Norma Jean for eight or so years; so when I learned that they were touring Australia, I wanted to make sure that I caught them while they were in this part of the world. In this way, I found myself in Sydney on Friday night enjoying one of the best concerts I have ever experienced. From the pre-set sound check, one knew that something special was about to happen; and from the moment the curtains opened, they played with an intensity that few other bands I've seen have been able to match. They played a good variety of songs from across their releases, including one from their upcoming album that is due to be released in a few months. Personal highlights were their opening song "Disconnecktie", "Bastardizer", crowd favourite "Memphis Will be Laid to Waste", and "Vipers, Snakes and Actors". I was impressed by the bands attitude, and have come away with a greater respect for the band and enjoyment for their music; something I hardly thought possible.

Check out the following links to see the setlist of the show, as well as photos from the night by Gwendolyn Lee and Rebecca Pacey.

In addition to the concert, I was also able to spend some time in the Australian Museum looking at broad-nosed weevils from Australia, walked through Royal National Park and Wolli Creek Regional Park, and enjoyed a milonga at Tango Pasión. I managed to pack a decent amount into a short visit. I liked Sydney, and would like to visit it again in the not-so-distant future.


Read:
   Pine-Coffin RS (translator). 1961. The confessions of Saint Augustine Middlesex: Penguin

Websites:
Geoscience Australia: Topographic mapping

Watched:
Star Trek (Original Series) Season One
Norma Jean Australian Tour Trailer

Twelve weeks of Star Trek:
Star Trek X: Nemesis

No comments: