Friday 29 March 2013

PhD week 56: Easter

The crucifixion of Christ. Icon by Dionisius (1500 AD). Image courtesy of WikiMedia Commons. Image is in the Public Domain.

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were an offering far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Isaac Watts, 1707. From the Open Hymnal.


Read:
   Ferngren GB (Editor). 2002. Science and Religion. A Historical Introduction Baltimore: The John Hopkins University Press
   Hughes P (Translator). 1937. Meditations for Lent from St. Thomas Aquinas. London: Sheed and Ward

Websites
Revista Chilena de Historia Natural online
GIMP contact sheet plugin

Watched:
Star Trek: Enterprise Season Four

Twelve weeks of Star Trek:
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

No comments: